Evaluation of hybrid populations at breeding of potatoes on high starch content
Faljonky Plant-Breeding Station, Faljonki, Kirov region, Russia
A possibility of creating of a higt starchy varieties of potatoes was studied in condition of Kirov region. With this aim an analysis was conducted of populations from selfing of varieties with high starch content and hybrid populations. Varieties Lazarus and Zdabytok were bred which proved themself as valuable sources of higt starch content. In the progeny from self-pollination of variety Lazarus the average starch content was 20.8%; 73.8% of high starch forms are segregated; 18.0% of them are transgressive forms with starch content exceded of f parental variety. Hybrid combination Lybid x Lazarus, Zdabytok x Dina, Veteran x 2107-3, and Hermes x Hozyayushka were selected which are valuable for breeding on higt starch content. In a combination Lybid x Lazarus average starch content was 18.3 %; and in a combination Stabilock x Dina - 18.4 %. During three years (2012-2014) for creation of a new initial material an effect of negative selection in one-tuberous populations was studied. Eventually there was a shift of variational series in hybrid populations in a direction of high starch content. However an annual transition of seedlings from the category of high starch into category of low starch content was marked. One reason is the defeat of seedlings with viral diseases (up to 2.4 %). A correlation was not found between yield and starch content in populations including the vast number of medium and low starchy forms. It may be increasing of the negative dependence of starch content in tubers on yield (r = -0.37). Selected hybrids 168-11 and 282-09 combine both increased starch content with yield and resistance to viral diseases.
Keywords: potato, seedling, starch content, hybrid combination, variation line, yield
1. Industriya kartofelya [The potato industry]. The Reference book; edited by professor V.I. Starovoitov. Moscow, 2010. 202 p.
2. Alsmik P.I. Selekciya kartofelya na povyshennoe soderzhanie suhih veshchestv – krahmala i belka [Breeding of potatoes for the high content of dry matter (starch and protein)]. Resul'taty issledovanii po selekcii i semeno-vodstvu kartofelya: nauchnye trudy NIIKH. [The Results of research on breeding and seed production of potato: proceedings of NIIKH]. Moscow, 1970. рp. 29-40.
3. Piskun G.I. Selekciya kartofelya na vysokoe sodrezhanie krahmala: etapy, rezul'taty [Breeding of potato on high starch content: stages, results]. Materialy Mezhdunarodnoj nauchno-prakticheskoj konferencii, posvyashchennoj 75-letiju Instituta kartofelevodstva Nacional'noj akademii nauk Belarusi: nauchnye trudy [Materials of International scientific-practical conference dedicated to the 75th anniversary of the Institute of potato growing of the National Academy of Belarus: Scientific works]. Minsk, 2003. рp. 40-46.
4. Yashina I.M. Geneticheskie predposylki vyvedeniya vysokokrachmalistykh sortov kartofelya [Genetic prerequisites for breeding of potato cultivars with a high starch content]. Genetika. 1982. V. XVIII. nо. 7. рp. 1135-1143.
5. Abrosimov D.C. Printsipy podbora roditel'skikh par i metody otbora pri selekcii kartofelya na povyshennuyu krakhmalistost' [Principles of selection of parental pairs and methods of selection in breeding of potato for increased starchy]. Self-abstract of PhD Thesis. Moscow, 2007. 18 p.
6. Metodicheskie ukasaniya po ocenke kartofelya na kachestvo (obzor) [Methodical instructions for assessment of potato quality (review)]. Korenevo, 1978. 40 p.
7. Sintsova N.F., Sergeeva Z.F. Iskhodnyj material dlya selekcii vysokokrakhmalistykh sortov kartofelya v usloviyakh Volgo-Vyatskogo regiona [The initial material for selection of first class potato varieties in the Volga-Vyatka region]. Agrarnaya nauka Evro-Severo-Vostoka. 2014. nо. 5(42). рp. 9-12.
8. Bukasov S.M., Kameras A.Ya. Selekciya i semenovodstvo kartofelya [Breeding and seed growing of potato]. Leningrad: Kolos, 1972. 359 p.