Influence of clear cutting of forest on change of number of Moose (Alces Alces L.) in the conditions of Kostroma region
Shabrov F.A., post-graduate student
N.A. Nekrasov Kostroma State University, Kostroma, Russia
Kostroma Region is of the greatest provision of forest among the ones in the Central Federal District and assumes № 6 in the rankings of forest yield in the European part of the Russian Federation. Due to this, forest-growing conditions can be assessed as a basic factor for formation of feeding set of plants which are eated by elks. At this 90% of Kostroma Region's territory are occupied by stands with middle to high plenitude (0.6-1), which causes felling areas being overgrown with verdure and margins of woodland with developed understorey to serve as one of the main sources of branch feed. According to opinion of various Russian and foreign researchers any mode of cutting increases feed production concerning feed, which consists of trees' branches, up to 25 times. However, disafforestation of intensiveness of impact on elks' number under conditions of Kostroma Region has not been studied up to date. In the present work on the basis of data of winter route count and annual reports of forest use an analysis of change of elk's number depending on disafforestation intensiveness has been held. Brushing areas can be used by elks as feeding stations for 5 to 11 years. Therefore while analyzing of average data for the recent 5 years from the point of view of the Region's districts was compared with elks number bias for the 5 years since the cutting date – for overgrowing with verdure. As the result of the investigations it has been defined that the volumes of disafforestation on Kostroma Region’s territory before 1985 provided natural growth of elks' number. Dependence of change in elk population density has been observed since 1986. The most strongly pronounced positive impact of clear cutting of forest on change of elks' number is observed in the area of spruce forests on the so-called Northern Ridges. At that, clear cutting of forest have no sufficient influence on elks' number in the areas which are situated in the zone of pine forests on sandy and loam-sandy flats.
Keywords: elk, forest clear cutting, changeofamount
1. Zaytsev V.A. Pozvonochnye zhivotnye severo-vostoka Central'nogo regiona Rossii (Vidy fauny, chislennost' i ee izmeneniya) [Vertebrates of the north-west of Russia’s central area (Fauna’s species, number and its changes)]. Moscow: KMK Scientific Press, 2006. 513 p.
2. Kozlov V.M. Vliyanie rubok lesa na sredu obitaniya i populyacii okhotnich'ikh zhivotnykh evropeyskoy taygi [Impact of forest cuttings on environment and populations of game in European taiga]. Kirov: Vyatka State Agricultural Academy, 2010. 150 p.
3. Pilipko E.N. Vliyanie troficheskoj aktivnosti losya (Alces alces (L.)) na podrost vyrubok v Vologodskoj oblasti [Impact of trophic activity of elks (Alces alces (L.) on young growth in felling in Vologda Region]. Vologda: Vereshchagin Vologda State Dairy Academy, 2011. 4 р.
4. Danilkin A.A. Olen'i (Cervidae) (Mlekopitayushchie Rossii i sopredel'nykh regionov) [Deer family (Cervidae) (Mammals of Russia and the former Soviet Union)]. Moscow: GEOS, 1999. 552 p.
5. Sokolov N.V., Sokolov A.N., Baranov A.V. Ocenka kormovoj bazy i ee korrektirovka v losevodstve [Assessment of nutritive base and its correction in elk's farming]. Kostroma, 2008. 18 p.
6. Lomanova N.V. Doklad ob organizacii, provedenii i obrabotke dannykh zimnego marshrutnogo ucheta v sub'ektakh Rossijskoj federacii v 2013 godu [Report about organization, holding and processing of data of winter route count in subjects of the Russian Federation in 2013]. Moscow: Federal state budget institution «Central Control of Hunt Legislation», 2012. 6 p.
7. Kurnaev S.F. Lesorastitel'noe rajonirovanie SSSR [Forest vegetation regionalization of the USSR]. Moscow, 1973. 202 p.