Effect of extract of saw-wort (Seratulla coronate) on the viability of white rats
Milkov A.A., post-graduate student
Vyatka State Agricultural Academy, Kirov, Russia
The article presents the results of studies on the effect of alcoholic extract of saw-wort (Seratulla coronata) on the viability and survival of white rats after injection of maximal doses of preparation. The experiment was made under laboratory conditions; animals are selected on the basis of analogs principle with 5 months age and weight of 150 ± 3 grams, clinically healthy. Five groups with 6 animals in each were formed. Dried alcoholic extract of S. coronata after dissolving in distilled water was injected intraperitoneally. At the end of the experiment body weight of rats increased by 13 ± 3 g; studied blood parameters in the experimental and control groups were roughly in the same boundaries that do not go beyond the norm; internal organs had no any pathological changes. Indicators of mass coefficients of internal organs of experimental and control animals did not differ significantly with each other (P<0.05). Rats of experimental group had: heart weight 0.32 ± 0.01; lung 0.75 ± 0.00; liver 3.19 ± 0.12; kidney 0.37 ± 0.02. Rats in the control group had: heart weight 0.30 ± 0.07; lungs 0.73 ± 0.00; liver 3.06 ± 0,01; kidney 0.36 ± 0.01. Histological examinations of the internal organs are not found significant changes in their structure. As the result it was found that intraperitoneal injection of S. coronata extract to rats at doses of 400, 600, 800, and 1000 mg/kg did not cause adverse effects. Complex of obtained data allows to conclude that extract of S. coronata at parenteral administration even in high concentrations has no negative effect on the body of experimental animals.
Keywords: saw-wort, white rats, water emulsion, alcoholic extract, toxicity, blood, histology, survival
1. Timofeev N.P. Promyshlennye istochniki polucheniya ekdisteroidov. Chast' I. Ponasterone i muristerone. [Industrial sources of ecdysteroids. Part I. Ponasterone and muristerone]. Netraditsionnye prirodnye resursy, innovatsionnye tekhnologii i produkty. [Non-traditional natural resources, innovative technologies and products]. Col. scient. works. Moscow: RAEN, 2003. no.9. 105 p.
2. Mishurov V.P., Timofeev N.P. Aktual'nye zadachi po sozdaniyu, kul'tivirovaniyu i ispol'zovaniyu syr'evoy bazy ekdisteroidsoderzhashchikh rasteniy. [Actual problems of creation, cultivation and utilization of raw materials base of ecdysteroid-content plants]. Materialy IX mezhdunarodnogo simpoziuma po novym kormovym rasteniyam. [Proceedings of the IX international Symposium on new fodder plants]. Syktyvkar, 1999. 121 p.
3. Baltaev U.A. Fitoekdisteroidy: struktura, istochniki i puti biosinteza v rasteniyakh. [The phyto-ecdysteroids: structure, sources and routes of biosynthesis in plants]. Moscow: REAN, 2000. no. 12. 892 p.
4. Ivanovskiy A.A. Fitoekdisteroidy – uchebnoe posobie. [Phytoecdysteroids - tutorial]. Kirov: VGSKhA, 2012. 12 p.
5. Filippova N.V., Volodina S.O., Smolenskaya I.N., Zorinyants S.E., Volodin V.V. Ekdisteroidy v kul'turakh kletok SERRTULA CORONATA I AJUGA REPTANS. [Ecdysteroids in cell cultures of SERRTULA CORONATA and AJUGA REP-TANS]. Khimiya rastitel'nogo syr'ya. 2002. no.1. p. 57.
6. Timofeev N.P. Issledovaniya po ekdisteroidam: Ispol'zovanie v meditsine. [Research on ecdyste-roids: Use in medicine]. Biomeditsinskaya khimiya. 2004. 50 (Pril. 1). p. 133.
7. Timofeev N.P. Levzeya saflorovidnaya i serpukha ventsenosnaya – osnova novykh innovatsionnykh produktov. [Leuzea carthamoides and sabuha crowned the basis of new innovative products]. Levzeya saflorovidnaya ili serpukha. [Leuzea carthamoides or sabuha]. Mode of access: www.leuzea.ru.
8. Urbakh V.Yu. Statisticheskiy analiz v biologicheskikh i meditsinskikh issledovaniyakh. [Statistical analysis in biological and medical research]. Moscow: Medicine, 1975. 60 p.
9. Sokolov V.D., Rabinovich M. I., Gorshkov G.I. Farmakologiya. [Pharmacology]. Moscow: Kolos, 1997. 543 p.
10. Afanas'eva Yu.I., Yurina N.A. Gistologiya, tsitologiya, embriologiya. [Histology, Cytology, embryology]. 5th ed,. revised and enlarged extra. Moscow: Medicine, 2002. 744 p.