The study of spring wheat hybrids on yield and protein content
Volkova L.В., PhD in biology, head of laboratory
North-East Agricultural Research Institute, Kirov, Russia
Spring wheat F2-F4 hybrids and their original forms were studied on yield and protein content in grain. The productivity of varieties and hybrids were highly varied depending on the environmental conditions and cross combinations (average yield is 217 g/m2, coefficient of variation 39%). The high heterogeneity of F2-F3 populations, strong modification variability and low repeatability of the trait in the offspring does not allow to judge the productive value of hybrid combinations in the first stages of selection with a sufficient degree of reliability. At crossing of varieties with contrast productivity hybrids of the second and third generations have turned to the best parent. The most high-yield samples Ferrugineum 69-96 х Pamyati Ryuba (266 g/m2), Anyuta х Stepnaya 1 (237 g/m2), Anyuta х Izida (239 g/m2) were characterized by a higher degree of variability of the trait (CV = 40...57%). Differences of genotypes on protein content in grain are well expressed. Hybrids had, as a rule, an intermediate position between the original forms. The best combination obtained in crosses of high quality varieties: Ferrugineum 69-96 х Anyuta (12.8...14.1%), Hja 23361 х Anyuta (13.3...14.0%), Botanicheskaya 3 x Gutler (12.5...15.1%), Anyuta x Engelina (12.6...15.3%). Promising hybrid combinations can be evaluated as early as F2 since the protein content is characterized by a high heritability. A high negative correlation between productivity and protein content makes it difficult to obtain initial material which combines these features at a high level. Promising hybrid combinations with optimal display of traits are selected for further breeding work: Botanicheskaya 3 x Kinel'skaya Otrada, Botanicheskaya 3 x Pamyati Ryuba, Anyuta x Engelina , Anyuta x Izida.
Keywords: spring wheat, hybrids, protein content, productivity, inheritance
1. Rezul'taty sortoispytaniya sel'skokhozyaystvennykh kul'tur na gossortouchastkakh Kirovskoy oblasti za 2011-2013 gody i sortovoe rayonirovanie na 2014 god. [Results of variety trials of agricultural crops in State Variety Test Stations of Kirov Region for 2011-2013 and Cultivated in 2014]. Kirov, 2013. 113 p.
2. Meleshkina E.P. Sovremennye aspekty kachestva zerna pshenitsy. [Modern aspects of wheat grain quality]. Agrarnyy vestnik Yugo-Vostoka. 2009. no. 3. pp. 4-7.
3. Dospekhov B.A. Metodika polevogo opyta. [Technique of field experiment]. Moscow: Kolos, 1979. 415 p.
4. Bebyakin V.M. Ekologicheskie i geneticheskie aspekty kachestva zerna pshenitsy. [Environmental and genetic aspects of wheat grain quality]. Zdorov'e – pitanie - biologicheskie resursy. [Health - nutrition - biological resources]. Kirov, 2002. V. 1. pp. 224-231.
5. Kazartseva A.T., Sheudzhen A.Kh., Neshchadim N.N. Ekologo-geneticheskie i agrokhimicheskie osnovy povysheniya kachestva zerna. [Ecological-and-genetic and agrochemical basis for improving grain quality]. Maikop, 2004. 159 p.
6. Bebyakin V.M., Osyka I.A. Kachestvennaya kharakteristika zerna sortov yarovoy myagkoy pshenitsy po potomstvu. [Qualitative characteristics of grain of spring wheat varieties by progeny]. Sel'skokhozyaystvennaya biologiya. 2008. no. 5. pp. 33-37.
7. Vorob'eva R.A. Nasledovanie soderzhaniya proteina v gibridakh vtorogo i tret'ego pokoleniy ozimoy pshenitsy. [Inheritance of protein content in hybrids of the second and third generations of winter wheat]. Sbornik nauchnykh trudov Krasnodar Agricultural Research Institute. 1975. V. 9. pp. 154-163.
8. Zavalin A.A., Pasynkov A.V., Pasynkova E.N. Vliyanie usloviy azotnogo pitaniya na urozhaynost' i kachestvo zerna razlichnykh sortov yarovoy pshenitsy. [Effect of nitrogen nutrition on productivity and grain quality of different spring wheat varieties]. Agrokhimiya. 2000. no. 7. pp. 27-34.
9. Dolgodvorova L.I. Selektsiya polevykh kul'tur na kachestvo. [Breeding of field crops on quality]. Moscow: ICCA Publishing, 1995. 178 p.
10. Molchan I.M., Il'ina L.G., Kubarev P.I. Spornye voprosy v selektsii rasteniy. [Controversial problems in plant breeding]. Selektsiya i semenovodstvo. 1996. no. 1-2. pp. 36-51.