About need to improve game resource management
Safonov V.G., DSc in biology, corresponding member of RAS,
Glushkov V.M., DSc in biology, associate professor
Professor Zhitkov Federal State Budgetary Russian Research Institute of Game Management and Fur Farming, Kirov, Russia
Deficiencies and ways of improving of resource potential management of game animals in Russia are considered on example of moose and roe deer. Intensity of moose extraction is unprecedented low: 0.028 individuals/1000 hectares of forest that is 122 times less than in the Scandinavian countries. The value of increase of livestock till winter is for moose 21.6 %, for roe deer 30.0%. Winter mortality for moose is 4.1, roe deer 4.5 of quotas, or 17.8 and 27.2%, respectively. The annual growth rate of moose is 1.31%; of roe deer – 2.82%. The small difference between the values of growth and mortality (moose 3.8% of the Nwra; roe deer 2.8% of Nwra) is the reason for the low growth rate of population, population density, intensity of extraction according to permissions. One must change the order of conducting of accounting by differentiating on the methods, terms and techniques. The rules of quota selection and control of production, distribution of permissions, organization and technology of hunting must be reviewed. Conception on resource management of game animals must be communal designed and adopted in State level; it must be form as a state-funded program with permanent institutions and algorithms of implementation. The transition to integrated environmental management in our country will require not only ecological studies, but legal foundations of land use focused on the complexity. Feasible and urgently needed goal for the nearest future is the improvement of the monitoring system and the quota system as well as the eradication of poaching not only by enhancing the control and repressive measures, but also by improving management of resource potential.
Keywords: growth till winter, sustainable use, quotas, poaching, management of populations
1. Danilkin A.A. Kosuli (biologicheskie osnovy upravleniya resursami). [Roe deer (the biological basis for management of resources)]. Moscow: Tovarishchestvo nauchnykh izdaniy KMK, 2014. 337 p.
2. Glushkov V.M. Los'. Ekologiya i upravlenie populyatsiyami. [Moose. Ecology and management of populations]. Kirov, 2001. 317 p.
3. Sostoyanie resursov okhotnich'ikh kopytnykh zhivotnykh i ikh dobycha v Rossiyskoy Fede-ratsii v 2009-2014 gg. [The status of the hunting resources of ungulates and their production in the Russian Federation in 2009-2014]. FGU KIATs, 2015. 99 p.
4. Koli G. Analiz populyatsiy pozvonochnykh. [Analysis of vertebrate populations]. Moscow: Mir, 1979. 363 p.
5. Glushkov V. M. Nezakonnaya dobycha losya v Rossii: vzglyad iznutri. [Illegal extraction of moose in Russia: inside]. Gumanitarnye aspekty okhoty i okhotnich'ego khozyaystva: II Mezhduna-rodnaya nauchno-prakticheskaya konferentsiya (28-31 oktyabrya 2014 g.). [The Humanitarian aspects of hunting and hunting economy: II international scientific-practical conference (28-31 October 2014)]. Irkutsk, 2014. pp. 49-61.
6. Skalski J. R., Ryding K. E., Millspaugh I. J. Wildlife Demography. Analysis of Sex, Age, and Count Data. N.Y. Academic Press. 2005. 639 p.
7. Glushkov V.M. Differentsirovannyy podkhod k upravleniyu populyatsiyami zhivotnykh s raznym tipom rosta chislennosti. [Differentiated approach to the management of populations of animals with different types of growth]. Zoologicheskie i okhotovedcheskie issledovaniya v Kazakhstane i sopredel'nykh stranakh: Materialy mezhdunarodnoy konferentsii, posvyashchennoy 100-letiyu akademika A.A. Sludskogo. [Zoological hunting and researches in Kazakhstan and adjacent countries: proceedings of the international conference devoted to 100 anniversary of academician A. A. Sludskii]. Almaty, 2012. pp. 293-295.
8. Perechen' porucheniy Prezidenta Rossiyskoy Federatsii po voprosam ratsional'nogo ispol'zovaniya prirodnykh resursov, okhrany ob"ektov zhivotnogo i rastitel'nogo mira: Kantselyariya Prezidenta RF. Pr-2506. Utverzhden 18. 09. 2012 g. Otvetstvennyy Medvedev D.A. [List of orders of the President of the Russian Federation for the rational use of natural resources, protection of flora and fauna: the office of the President of the Russian Federation. PR-2506. Approved 18. 09. 2012 Responsible Medvedev D.A.].
9. Zhitkov B.M. On some conditions of our hunting. Okhotnik, 1927. no. 8. p.10.
10. Folitarek S.S. Teoreticheskie osnovy biotekhnii i obzor rabot Karasukskoy biotechnicheskoy stantsii. [Theoretical foundations of biotechna and review of work of Karasuk biotech station]. Novosibirsk: Izd-vo «Nauka», 1980. pp. 8-80.
11. «O gosudarstvennoy strategii po okhrane okruzhayushchey sredy i obespecheniyu ustoychi-vogo razvitiya». Ukaz prezidenta ot 4 fevralya 1994 g. № 236. ["State strategy for environmental protection and sustainable development". The presidential decree of 4 February 1994 No. 236].
12. Safonov V. Basic principles of the concept. Okhota i okhotnich'e khozyaystvo, 1991. no. 7. pp. 12-13.
13. Shvarts Ch.S. Fiziologicheskie i pishchevye adaptatsii losya k severnym usloviyam. [Physiological and nutritional adaptation of moose to Northern conditions]. Tretiy Mezhdunarodnyy simpozium po losyu. [The Third international Symposium on moose]. Syktyvkar: 1990. p. 158.