Breeding of grain sorghum in the Rostov region
Alabushev A.V., corresponding member of the RAS, professor, director,
Kovtunov V.V., PhD in agriculture, head of laboratory,
Kovtunova N.A., PhD in agriculture, head of laboratory,
Gorpinichenko S.I., PhD in agriculture, leading researcher
I.G. Kalinenko All-Russian Research Institute of Grain Crops, Zernograd, Russia
E-mail: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Grain sorghum is the most essential fodder and food crop with a range of advantages. The purpose of the study is to reveal the features of grain sorghum's seed-growing and to carry out the analysis of varietal composition, the amount of planted seeds according to the categories, and of the areas planted with sorghum in the Rostov region in 2012-2014. There is a low amount of areas planted with sorghum and they don’t exceed 170 000 ha in Russia, with no more than 60 000 ha in the Rostov region. One of the main reasons of insufficient distribution of the crop are the difficulties in seed growing, namely a late maturation of seeds (September, October), which impedes harvesting and reduces the quality of sowing characteristics. In the Rostov region it’s possible to obtain high quality seeds if apply high agricultural technology, comply with the rules of seed-growing and choose proper varietal composition. A significant part of the varieties and the hybrids of grain sorghum (48.9%) included in the State Register of breeding achievements has been recommended for cultivation in the North-Caucasus region. The varieties of FSBSI All-Russian Research Institute of Grain Crops named after I.G. Kalinenko occupy the largest part (51.3–73.3%) of all the areas planted with sorghum in the Rostov region. According to the Ministry of Agriculture and Food of the Rostov region there is an increase of the amount of sown grain sorghum seeds of different categories from 2 950 hwt in 2012 to 11 100 hwt in 2014. It leads to significant increasing of areas planted with sorghum in the Rostov region from 14 500 to 58 300 hectares.
Keywords: grain sorghum, seed-growing, seeds, varietal purity, germination
1. Firsova T.I., Filenko G.A., Starikova D.V. Rekomendatsii po semenovodstvu zernovykh kolosovykh kul'tur v Rostovskoy oblasti. [Recommendations on seed-growing of grain cereals in the Rostov Region]. Rostov-n/D: ZAO «Kniga», 2012. 96 p.
2. Firsova T.I., Filenko G.A., Marchenko D.M. Razvitie elitnogo semenovodstva zernovykh kolosovykh kul'tur v Rostovskoy oblasti. [Development of elite seed-growing of grain cereals in the Rostov region]. APK Yuga Rossii: sostoyanie i perspektivy (Sb. dokl. Regional'noy nauchno-prakt. konf.). [AIC of the South of Russia: state and prospects (Collection of the reports of the Regional science-practical conference)]. Maykop: Izd-vo «Magarin O.G.», 2014. pp. 201-204.
3. Firsova T.I., Filenko G.A. About seed-growing of winter barley. Agrarnyy vestnik Urala. 2014. no. 5. p. 17-21.
4. Lushpina O.A., Beseda N.A., Kovtunov V.V. Increase in production of feed grain in arid regions of the Northern Caucasus. Kormoproizvodstvo. 2009. no. 10. pp. 17-21.
5. Beseda N.A., Lushpina O.A., Kovtunov V.V., Gorpinichenko S.I. Problems and results of breeding of grain sorghum. Zernovoe khozyaystvo Rossii. 2010. no. 6. pp. 49-51.
6. State Standard P 52325-2005. Seeds of agricultural plants. Varietal and sowing properties. Total technical terms. Moscow: Standardinform, 2005. 19 p.
7. Alabushev A.V., Anipenko L.N., Gurskiy N.G, Kolomiets N.Ya. et аl. Sorgo (selektsiya, semenovodstvo, tekhnologiya, ekonomika). [Sorghum (breeding, seed-growing, technology, economy)]. Rostov n/D: ZAO «Kniga», 2003. 368 p.
8. Instruktsiya po aprobatsii sortovykh posevov. Chast' I (zernovye, krupyanye, zernobobovye, maslichnye i pryadil'nye kul'tury). [Instruction on approbation of varietal sowings. Part I (cereals, groats, legumes, oil, and spinning crops)]. Moscow: NIITEIagroprom, 1995. 83 p.
9. Filenko G.A., Firsova T.I., Starikova D.V. Elite seed-growing of spring barley as a factor of development of plant industry in Rostov region. Zernovoe khozyaystvo Rossii. 2013. no. 5. pp. 24-27.
10. Gosudarstvennyy reestr selektsionnykh dostizheniy, dopushchennykh k ispol'zovaniyu. Tom 1. Sorta rasteniy. [State Register of breeding achievements approved for use. Volume 1. Plant varieties]. Moscow, 2015. 468 p.