Geometric characteristics of grain of naked oats varieties in the northern forest-steppe zone of the Tyumen region
Fomina M.N., PhD in agriculture, head researcher,
Aver'yasova Y.S., graduate student
Agricultural Research Institute for Northern Trans-Ural Region, Tyumen', Russia
Oats is a crop of universal use. Grain of oats is an excellent raw material for milling industry. Of particular interest in this respect are naked oats varieties. Determination of grain size and its geometric characteristics is necessary in grain assessing for flour production. Estimation of naked oats varieties of different ecological and geographical origin on the basic geometric parameters (linear dimensions, shape, volume, external surface area) was conducted under conditions of the Tyumen region. Study of kernel had showed that geometric parameters were depended on growing conditions and the varietal characteristics. The most variable parameter is width of the kernel (V = 17.8-25.0%), the thickness was changed in less degree (V = 9.7%-16.06%), grain length was characterized by relative stability (V = 7.4-15.70%). The limits of variation within samples were: length of kernel - 4.22-10.30 mm, width – 1.00-3.17 mm thickness - 1.00-2.88 mm. The volume of grain depending on the variety ranged from 2.08 (k-7776) to 51.41 mm3 (k-15162). The area of the outer surface changed from 9.90 (k-7776) to 138.10 mm2 (k-10262), the ratio of grain volume to external surface area ranged from 0.10 (k-15193) to 0.47 mm (k-14638), the sphericity of the grains in naked oats varieties was within 0.25 - 0.80. A distribution of varieties on the form of kernel was conducted in accordance with the definition of the classification of the sphericity index for each group: acicular (Ψ = 0.32-0.53), oval (Ψ = 0.40-0.64), pyriform (Ψ = 0.49-0.55). A positive correlation of the grain volume with the content of endosperm (r = 0.55-0.88) and a 1000 grains mass (r = 0.21-0.46). Perspective sources are selected which form large grain with high endosperm content. These sources can be recommended for use in breeding for food purposes.
Keywords: naked oats, linear dimensions of grains, geometric parameters, sphericity, endosperm content, grain size, sources
1. Gorpinchenko T., Anikanova Z. Kachestvo ovsa prodovol'stvennogo naznacheniya. [Quality of oats for food use]. Khleboprodukty. 1996. no. 6. pp. 11-15.
2. Batalova G.A., Lisitsyn E.M., Rusakova I.I. Biologiya i genetika ovsa. [Biology and Genetics of Oats]. Kirov: Zonal'nyy NIIKhS Severo-Vostoka, 2008. 456 p.
3. Ganichev B.L Selektsiya golozernogo ovsa v svete idey N.I. Vavilova. [Breeding of naked oats in the light of NI Vavilov's ideas]. Geneticheskie resursy kul'turnykh rasteniy v XXI v.: sostoyanie, problemy, perspektivy: tez. dokl. II Vavilovskoy mezhdunar. konf. Sankt-Peterburg, 26-30 noyabrya 2007 g. [Genetic resources of cultivated plants in the XXI century: the state, problems and prospects: abstracts Vavilov II Intern. Conf. Saint - Petersburg, November 26-30, 2007]. Saint-Petersburg: VIR, 2007. p. 439.
4. Egorov G.A. Tekhnologiya muki. Prakticheskiy kurs. [Flour technology. Practical Course]. Moscow: DeLi print, 2007. 143 p.
5. Borisova Yu.V. Izuchenie kollektsii golozernogo ovsa Avena nudisativa L. S tsel'yu selektsii: avoref. dis. … kand. s.-kh. nauk. [The study of naked oats Avena nuda sativa L. collection for the purpose of breeding: Author's abstract of PhD Thesis in agriculture]. Moscow, 2008. 16 p.
6. Metodicheskie ukazaniya po izucheniyu mirovoy kollektsii yachmenya i ovsa. Izdanie 3-e, pererab. [Methodical instructions on the study of world collection of barley and oat. Third Edition, revised]. L., 1981. 32 p.
7. Metodicheskie ukazaniya po izucheniyu i sokhraneniyu mirovoy kollektsii yachmenya i ovsa. Izdanie 4-e, dop. i pererab. [Methodical instructions on the study and conservation of the world collection of barley and oats. Fourth Edition, revised and supplemented]. Sankt-Peterburg, 2012. 63 p.
8. Dospekhov B.F. Metodika polevogo opyta (s osnovami statisticheskoy obrabotki rezul'tatov isledovaniy). [Methodology of field experiment (with bases of statistical processing of research results)]. Moscow: Kolos, 1985. 416 p.