Methodical approaches on creation of winter rye population varieties for different goal directions
Utkina E.I., PhD in biology, head of department of winter rye,
Voylokov A.V.*, DSc in biology, associated professor, head of laboratory,
Kedrova L.I., DSc in agriculture, leading researcher,
Chugunova N.V., researcher
North-East Agricultural Research Institute, Kirov, Russia, *Saint-Petersburs branch, Institute of General Genetics, Russian Academy of Sciences
E-mail: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
The breeding scheme is designed for improvement and differentiation of short-stem rye population varieties for obtaining progenies of different goal directions. The scheme includes testing and selection of inbred progenies originated from self-pollination of annually produced backcrosses. The source of the self-fertility is a line of long-stem genotype carrying mutation of self-fertility marked with isozyme locus. The best in vegetative traits short-stem plants of the initial population are involved in direct and back crosses. The selection is carried out among the inbred progenies constant for the traits determining productivity, lodging and diseases resistance, and goal direction in successive generations of backcrosses. A cross pollination of pre-selected plants heterozygous on self-fertility is carried out at accumulation of progenies having characteristics which meet requirements for selection of forming varieties. In the obtained offspring self-incompatible plants are selected by marker. Cross-pollination of these offspring permits to get heterotic sub-populations constant for short-stem, differentiated for quality, characterized by ecological plasticity and improved performance of resistance and productivity. Simultaneously self-fertile analogs of open-pollinated sub-populations are created in which concentration of genes responsible for selected traits is increased owing to selection as well as in initial sub-populations. These analogs could be used at repeated cycles of selection and as initial material for breeding of hybrid varieties. For test of efficiency of the scheme the analysis of biochemical characters determining grain quality is carried out in 122 inbred progenies produced on the basis of variety Snezhana. Seventeen genotypes are selected having increased protein content, 20 - having highest starch content, 14 – having highest content of soluble pentosans among all nursery, and 18 – having lowest content of soluble pentosans. The part of progenies combines the characters meeting requirements of breeding for baking and forage.
Keywords: winter rye, breeding of open-pollinating varieties, grain quality, selection of inbred progenies, isozyme marker
1. Kul'turnaya flora SSSR. Rozh'. [Cultural flora of the USSR. A rye]. Vol. 2 . Pt. 1. Otv. red. V.D. Kobylyanskiy. Leningrad: Agropromizdat, 1989. 368 p.
2. Voylokov A.V. Perspektivy ispol'zovaniya avtofertil'nosti v selektsii sortov-populyatsiy u rzhi. [Prospects of use of self-fertility in selection of population-varieties at a rye]. Genetika. 2007. Vol. 43. pp. 1402-1410.
3. Kutka F. Open-pollinating vs. hybrid maize cultivars. Sustainability. 2011.Vol.3. pp.1541-1553.
4. Wricke G. Comparison of selection based on yield of half sib progenies and of I1 lines per se in rye Secale cereale L. Theor. Appl. Genet. 1976. Vol. 47. pp. 265-269.
5. Utkina E.I. O metodakh i rezul'tatakh selektsii ozimoy rzhi v NIISKh Severo-Vostoka. [About methods and results of a winter rye breeding in the North-East NIISH]. Metody i tekhnologii v selektsii rasteniy: Materialy Vserossiyskoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem. [Methods and technologies in plant breeding: Materials of the All-Russia scientifically-practical conference with the international participation]. Kirov: NIISKh Severo-Vostoka, 2014. pp 17-24.
6. Smirnov V.G., Sosnikhina S.P. Genetika rzhi. [Genetics of a rye]. Leningrad: Izd-vo LGU, 1984. 264 p.
7. GOST 10845-98. Zerno i produkty ego pererabotki. Metod opredeleniya krakhmala. [State Standart 10845-98. Cereals and cereal milled products. Method for determination of starch].Minsk, 2009. 4 p.
8. GOST 13496.2-91. Korma, kombikorma, kombikormovoe syr'e. Metod opredeleniya syroy kletchatki. [State Standart 3496.2-91. Fodder mixed fodder and mixed fodder raw material. Method for determination of raw cellular tissue]. Moscow, 2002. 6 p.
9. GOST 13496.15-97. Korma, kombikorma, kombikormovoe syr'e. Metody opredeleniya soder-zhaniya syrogo zhira. [State Standart 13496.15-97. Forages, compound feeds, raw material for compound feeds. Methods for determining the raw fat content]. Moscow, 2011. 10 p.
10. GOST 26226-95. Korma, kombikorma, kombikormovoe syr'e. Metody opredeleniya syroy zoly. [State Standart 26226-95. Fodder, mixed fodder and mixed fodder raw material. Methods for determination of raw ash]. Minsk, 2003. 6 p.
11. GOST 26570-95. Korma, kombikorma, kombikormovoe syr'e. Metody opredeleniya kal'tsiya. [State Standart 26570-95. Fodder, mixed fodder and mixed fodder raw materials. Methods for determination of calcium]. Minsk, 2003. 14 p.
12. GOST 26657-97. Korma, kombikorma, kombikormovoe syr'e. Metod opredeleniya soderzhaniya fosfora. [State Standart 26657-97. Fodders, mixed fodders, mixed fodder raw materials. Methods for determination of phosphorus content]. Minsk, 1997. 10 p.
13. Hashimoto S., Shogren M. D., Pomeranz Y. Cereal Pentosans. Their Estimation and Significance. – Pentosans in Wheat and Milleed Wheat Products. Cereal Chem. 1964. Vol. 1. pp. 30-34.