Overgrowing of disturbed reindeer pastures in the Nenets autonomous region on the example of the quarry of mineral soil
Kononov O.D., DSc in agriculture, corresponding member of the Russian Academy of Sciences,
Popov A.I., researcher,
Uvarov S.A.,* researcher
Agricultural Research Institute, s. Lugovoy, Arkhangelsk region, Russia, *"Nenets Museum of Local Lore", Naryan-Mar, Russia
E-mail: arhniish@ mail; email@example.com
Most (73%) of the land fund of the Nenets Autonomous Okrug (NAO) is occupied with reindeer pastures. At the same time, the NAO is one of the most perspective regions for oil and gas. Large areas of pasture are drained under field development and exploration which after completion of construction and operation should be reclaimed and returned to the main landuser - herders. In disturbed areas where no remediation processes overgrowing were observed. One of these areas is considered in the article - sand quarry of mineral soil in the Shapkina basin area of 15 hectares, located on the lands of the largest deer farm NAO. The purpose of the study is to assess the restoration potential of vegetation by overgrowing on the disturbed tundra lands. As a result of observations of the re-vegetation on the tundra lands after technogenic impact and summarize the data three stages of re-vegetation were selected: 1 - pioneer species; 2 - grass, sedge community; 3 - shrubs. Despite a long period after the end of anthropogenic impact (over 15 years) a quarry is not completely overgrown. Re-vegetation speed is different for different parts of the quarry. In the central part it is self-overgrowing on the first stage, while at the periphery – on the second and third stages. To return the disturbed grasslands to agricultural use it requires work on the re-cultivation.
Keywords: sand quarry, overgrowing, tundra, grasslands, restoration, vegetation cover
1. Popov A.I., Kapel'kina L.P. Vosstanovlenie rastitel'nogo pokrova na narushennykh zemlyakh v Nenetskom avtonomnom okruge. [Revegetation of disturbed lands in the Nenets Autonomous District]. Rastitel'nye resursy. Vol. 48. Iss. 2. 2012. pp. 276-287.
2. Akul'shina P.P., Lobovikov N.N., Lobovikova V.F. Dinamika vosstanovleniya estestvennoy rastitel'nosti i fitorekul'tivatsiya narushennykh zemel' na trasse nefteprovoda Vozey-Usa-Ukhta. [The dynamics of natural vegetation recovery and recultivation of disturbed lands on the track of the pipeline Vozey-Usa-Ukhta]. Ustoychivost' rastitel'nosti k antropogennym faktoram i biorekul'tivatsiyam v usloviyakh Severa (Okhrana rastitel'nogo mira severnykh regionov). Mater. Vsesoyuz. Soveshch. [Resistance of vegetation to anthropogenic factors and bioremediation in the North (Protection of flora of the northern regions). Mater. All-Union. Ings of the Conference]. Vol.2. Syktyvkar: Komi filial AN SSSR, 1984. pp. 80-82.
3. Chuprova I.L. Optimizatsiya tekhnogennykh landshaftov Kraynego Severa (Noril'skiy promyshlennyy rayon, p-ov Taymyr): dis. … d-ра biol.nauk. [Optimization of technogenic landscapes of the Far North (Norilsk Industrial District, Taimyr Peninsula): DSc Thesis]. Dudinka, 2006. 391 p.
4. Sumina O.I. Formirovanie rastitel'nosti na tekhnogennykh mestoobitaniyakh Kraynego Severa. [Formation of vegetation on technogenic localities of the Far North]. Saint Petersburg: izd-vo «Inform-Navigator». 2013, 340 p.
5. Programma i metodika biogeotsenologicheskikh issledovaniy. [The program and methodology of bio-geotsenological research]. Moscow: Nauka, 1974. 403 p.
6. Cherepanov S.K. Sosudistye rasteniya Rossii i stran byvshego Sovetskogo Soyuza. [Vascular plants of Russia and countries of the former Soviet Union]. Saint Petersburg, 1995. 990 p.
7. Batalov A.E. Posledstviya nekotorykh vidov vozdeystviya ob"ektov neftedobychi na sostoyanie tundrovoy rastitel'nosti (na primere Nenetskogo avtonomnogo okruga). [The effects of some of the impacts of oil production facilities in the state of tundra vegetation (on the example of the Nenets Autonomous Okrug)]. Aktual'nye problemy sokhraneniya biorazno-obraziya rastitel'nogo i zhivotnogo mira Severnoy Finoskandii i sopredel'nykh territoriy. Doklady mezhd. konf., Appatity, 26-28 noyabrya 2002 g. [Actual problems of biodiversity of flora and fauna of North Finoskandii and adjacent territories. Reports Int. conf, Apatity, 26-28 November 2002]. Moscow: Tovarishchestvo nauchnykh izdaniy KMK, 2005. pp. 239-242.