Nematodoses of pigs in The Republic of Crimea and morphometric parameters of helminth eggs
Pasechnik A.A., postgraduate,
Lukyanova G.A., DSc in veterinary, professor, head of cathedra,
Volozhaninova N.V., PhD in veterinary, associate professor
Academy of Life and Environmental Sciences, «V.I. Vernadsky Crimean Federal University», Simferopol, Russia
Analysis of prevalence of nematosis in pigs in the Republic of Crimea is done. Research materials in technological slaughter animals have shown that in the intestine there are parasitic nematodes of four types (Ascaris, Trichuris, Metastrongylus, Strongylata) in the form of monoinvazion and in various combinations. Struck pigs intestinal nematodes was 54.24 %. Invasion of Trihuris suis was biggest among intestinal helminth infections of pigs (22.87%), of Ascaris suum infestation was 20.26%, Strongylata - 9.15%, Metastrongylus - 1.96%. Morphometric parameters of helminth eggs at different degrees of infestation intensity in mono- and mixed forms of helminthiasis were established in the program ImageJ (Wayne Rasband of Research Services Branch of the National Institute of Mental Health). During the studies it was noted that by increasing the intensity of infection the size of helminth eggs reduced: length by 1.05 times and the width by 1.04 times at Trichuris; 1.04 times – Ascaris length and 1.02 times - their width. For Strongylus eggs it is characterized a significant reduction in morphometric parameters: length by 1.83 times, the width – by 1.71 times. At a mixed invasion (Ascaris and Metastrongylus) it is revealed an antagonistic relationship, which manifest themselves in the form of increased morphometric parameters of eggs of Ascaris suum: length by 1.02 times, the width – by 1.07 times. Dimensions of eggs of Trichuris were reduced at mixed invasion with Ascaris suum (length by 1.06 times, width by 1.02), indicating the expression of partial antagonism. The data on the spread of nematodes in pigs in the territory of the Crimean peninsula and morphometric parameters of helminth eggs are important for therapeutic and preventive measures aimed at the elimination of helminth infections, and can also be used for diagnostic examinations of pigs.
Keywords: pigs, nematodes, morphometry, eggs, helminth, epizootology, monoinvasion, mix-tinvasion
1. Laha R., Das, M., Goswami A., Sailo B., Sharma B.K., Gangmei D., Puii L.H., Patra M.K., Das R.K., Sharma A., Ngulie E. Prevalence of Gastrointestinal Parasitic Infections in Pigs of North Eastern Region of India. Indian J. of Hill Farming. 2014. V. 27 (1). pp. 110-117.
2. Nur-E-Azam Md., Sen P., Tasneem M., Islam Md. S., Rakib T. Md., Alim Md. A., Hossain M.A. Occurence of gastrointestinal parasitic infections in pigs of Dinajpur district, Bangladesh. Scientific J. of Veterinary Advances. 2015. V. 4 (8). pp. 57-66.
3. Kumsa В., Kifle E. Internal parasites and health management of pigs in Burau District, Oromia Regional State, Ethiopia. J. of the South African Vet. Assosiation. 2014. 85 (1). рp. 1-5.
4. Ngowi H. A., Chenyambuga S., Sambuta A., Mkupasi E., Chibunda R. Coendemicity of cysti-cercosis and gastrointestinal parasites in rural pigs: a need for integrated control measures for porcine cysticercosis. Sci Parasitol. 2014. V. 15 (1-4). рp. 1-8.
5. Brhanie H., Dejenie T., Tomass Z. Prevalence of Potentially Zoonotic Intestinal Protozoa, Cryptosporidium and Giardia species in pigs in Tigray Rigion, Northern Ethiopia. European J. of Biol. Sciences. 2014. V. 6 (4). pp. 115-119.
6. Allwin B., Jayathangaraj M.G., Palanivel-rajan M., Gomathinayagam S., Raman M., Bino sundar S.T. Prevalence of helminthic fauna in wild pigs in comparison with domestic pigs: A study in the adjoining areas of Mudumalai, Anamalai and Sathya-mangalam tiger reserves, Tamil Nadu South India. J. Parasitol. Vector Biol. 2015. V. 7(3). pp. 46-52.
7. Donnik I.M., Sazhaev I.M. Rasprostranenie i vidovoy sostav vozbuditeley gel'mintozov i protozoozov svinopogolov'ya zhivotnovodcheskikh organizatsiy. [Distribution and species composition of pathogens helminthiasis and protozooses of a livestock of pigs livestock organizations]. Agrarnyy vestnik Urala. 2012. no. 9 (101). pp. 10-13.
8. Savel'ev A.A., Kulikova O.L. Epizootologiya kishechnykh nematodozov sviney v bazovykh khozyaystvakh. [Epizootiology of intestinal nematodes of pigs in the farms base]. Veterinarnaya patologiya. 2006. no. 1. pp. 71-74.
9. Yamov V.Z., Antropov V.A. Epizootologiya gel'mintozov sviney na Tyumenskom yuge. [Epizootiology of helminthoses of pigs on the South of the Tyumen]. Agrarnyy vestnik Urala. 2008. no. 5 (47). pp. 70-71.
10. Zajac Anne M., Conboy Gary A. Veterinary clinical parasitology. 8th ed., 2012. 354 p.
11. Savitskaya G.V. Analizkhozyaystvennoydeyatel'nostipredpriyatiya: [Analysis of economic activity of the enterprise]. 2-eizd., pererab. idop. Minsk: IP «Ekoperspektiva», 1998. 498 p.
12. Safiullin R.T. Epizooticheskayasituatsiyapoaskaridozusvineypozonamstranyiprognoz. [Epizootic situation on ascariasis pigs in zones of countries and forecast]. Teoriyaipraktikaparazitarnykhbolezneyzhivotnykh. 2009. no. 10. pp. 344-348.
13. Nasurdinova N.M., Zhigileva O.N. Konkurentsiya gel'mintov v parazitarnykh soobshchestvakh ostromordoy lyagushki Rana arvalis. [Competition in a parasitic helminth communities of Rana arvalis]. Vestnik Tyumen. gos. un-ta. 2007. no. 6. pp. 204-209.