Some results and methodical aspects of oats breeding for resistance against edaphic stress
Pages: 9-15.read all
Batalova G.A., corresponding member of RAS, deputy director,
Shirokikh I.G., DSc in biology, head of laboratory,
Tulyakova M.V.,* head of laboratory,
Shevchenko S.N.,** DSc in agriculture, director, head of laboratory,
Rusakova I.I., PhD in agriculture, Head of laboratory,
Abubakirova R.I., associate researcher,
Zhuikova O.A., associate researcher
North-East Agricultural Research Institute, Kirov, Kirov region, *Falenki breeding station, Falenki, Kirov region, **Samara Agricultural Research Institute, Bezenchuk, Samara region
Edaphic stress stipulated with ionic toxicity of hydrogen and aluminum of sod-podzolic soils is the most important economic and ecological stress in Volga-Vyatka region. Combination of methods of classical breeding (crossing and screening) with cell selection in vitro and using of favorable and natural acid (provocative) soil backgrounds as well as cabinets of artificial climate is very effective in breeding of covered oats resistant and tolerant to soil acidity. Researches were conducted in Kirov and Samara regions. Acid-soil tolerant covered oats varieties 397h07 and 418h07 are created having productivity 4.7-7.1 t/ha on neutral soils and 2.7 t/ha (0.4 t/ha higher than standard) under conditions of soil stress. Breeding lines obtained with methods of hybridization, selection, and following cell selection on acid- and drought selective medium were used as initial material. Lowering of productivity under conditions of high soil acidity is linked with depression of elements of yield structure (number of spikelets and grain in panicle; mass of grain per panicle and plant), plant height, length of panicle, and leaf area. After obtaining of seed progeny of regenerant plants in 2005 studies of genotypes having high enough productivity stable in varying climatic conditions researches were conducted in 2006-2011 at cultivated neutral soils. Further investigation of perspective varieties was conducted simultaneously on cultivated neutral and naturally acid soils with Al content 12.60-13.48 mg per 100 g of soil. Plants passing through selective systems in vitro with aluminum and on cultivated soil background in vivo (field) had advantages over initial genotypes and standard varieties on productivity especially under provocative conditions of acid soils and lack of moisture. They provide high productivity in drought conditions as well as under conditions favorable for grain yield formation.
Keywords: covered oats, soil acidity, callus tissue, selective media, cell selection, productivity, resistance, variety
1. Delhaize E., Ryan P.R., Hebb D.M., Yamamoto Y., Sasaki T., Matsumoto H. Engineering high-level aluminum tolerance in barley with the ALMT1 gene. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. Am. 2004. V. 101. no. 42. pp. 15249-15254.
2. Tyulin V.V., Kopysov I.Ya. Otsenka zemel' i ikh effektivnoe ispol'zovanie na Severo-Vostoke Nechernozemnoy zony. [Estimation of lands and their effective usage on North-East of Non-Chernozem zone]. Kirov, 1994. 161 p.
3. Shikhova L.N., Egoshina T.L. Tyazhelye metally v pochvakh i rasteniyakh taezhnoy zony Severo-Vostoka Evropeyskoy Rossii. [Heavy metals in soils and plants of taiga zone of European North-East of Russia]. Kirov: North-East Agricultural Research Institute, 2004. 262 p.
4. V'yushkov A.A. Selektsiya yarovoy pshenitsy v Srednem Povolzh'e. [Breeding of spring wheat in Middle Povolzh'e]. Samara, 2004. 224 p.
5. V'yushkov A.A., Mal'chikov P.N., Syukov V.V., Shevchenko S.N. Selektsionno-geneticheskoe uluchshenie yarovoy pshenitsy: izd. 2-e, ispr. i dopoln. [Breeding – and-genetic improvement of spring wheat]. Samara: Samara scientific center of RAS, 2012. 266 p.
6. Polovinkina S.V., Klimenko N.I. Embriogenez rasteniy myagkoy pshenitsy (Triticum aestivum L.) v usloviyakh Sibiri. [Embriogenesis of plants of soft wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) under conditions of Siberia]. Irkutsk: Irkutsk State agricultural Academy, 2013. 136 p.
7. Glukhovtsev V.V. Osobennosti adaptivnoy selektsii zernovykh kul'tur v srednem Povolzh'e v svete ucheniya N.I. Vavilova. [Peculiarities of adaptive breeding of grain crops in Middle Povolzh'e under light of N.I. Vavilov theory.]. Razvitie nauchnogo naslediya N.I. Vavilova v sovremennykh selektsionnykh issledovaniyakh: Mater. Vseros. nauch.-prak. konf. posvyashch. 125-letiyu so dnya rozhdeniya N.I. Vavilova. [Development of scientific legacy of N.I. Vavilov in modern breeding studies: Materials of scientific-and-practical conference dedicated to 125-anniversary of N.I. Vavilov. Kazan':Center of innovative technologies, 2012. pp. 29-37.
8. Shakirova F.M. Nespetsificheskaya ustoychivost' rasteniy k stressovym faktoram i ee regulyatsiya. [Non-specific resistance of plants to stress factors and its regulation]. Ufa:Gilem, 2001. 160 p.
9. Batalova G.A. Oves. Tekhnologiya vozdelyvaniya i selektsiya. [Oats. Technology of cultivation and breeding]. Kirov: North-East Agricultural Research Institute, 2000. 206 p.
10. Batalova G.A., Gubanova A.S. Fotosinteticheskaya deyatel'nost' ovsa v usloviyakh ekologicheskogo stressa dernovo-podzolistykh kislykh pochv. [Photosynthetic activity of oats under conditions of ecological stress of sod-podzolic acid soils]. Biznes. Nauka. Ekologiya rodnogo kraya: problemy i puti ikh resheniya: Materialy. Vserossiyskoy nauchno-prakt. Konferentsii-vystavki ekologicheskikh proektov s mezhd. uchastiem. [Business. Science. Ecology of Native land: materials of scientific-practical conference-exhibition of ecological projects with international participation. (Kirov, 18-20 April 2013). Kirov: Vesi Publ., 2013. pp. 102-104.
11. Nebol'sin A.N., Nebol'sina Z.P. Izvestkovanie pochv, zagryaznennykh tyazhelymi metallami. [Liming of soils polluted with heavy metals]. Materialy Mezhdunar. nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii «Problemy pitaniya rasteniy i ispol'zovanie udobreniy v sovremennykh usloviyakh». [Materials of international scientific-practical conference "Problems of plant nutrition and use of fertilizers under modern conditions"]. Minsk, 2000. pp. 341-346.
12. Lisitsyn E.M., Batalova G.A., Shchennikova I.N. Sozdaniya sortov ovsa i yachmenya dlya kislykh pochv. Teoriya i praktika. [Creation of oats and barley varieties for acid soils. Theory and practice]. Palmarium Academic Publishing, Saarbrucken, Germany, 2012. pp. 173-228.
13. Murashige T., Skoog F. A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco tissue. Physiol. Plant. 1962. V.15. pp. 473-497.