Dynamics of bovine leucosis infection in the Kirov region and effectiveness of anti-leucosis measures
Research Institute for Veterinary Medicine of Non-Chernozem Zone of Russian Federation, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia, *Kirov region veterinary laboratory, Kirov, Russia
E-mail: nivinz@ yandex.ru
Bovine leucosis takes the first place in infectious diseases of cattle and causes significant economic losses to the cattle industry especially to the pedigree cattle breeding. Economic losses associated with bovine leucosis are due to sharp reduction in meat and milk production of BLV-infected and diseased animals, reduced reproduction, voluntary culling and reduced slaughter value of diseased but high-productive cows, utilization of carcasses of slaughtered animals with tumors, diagnostic costs (annual survey including hematological and serological testing), lost market opportunities (lost or limited sales of calves etc.). In recent years the epizootic situation for bovine leucosis in the Kirov region has improved significantly because of effective anti-BLV infection measures. At the end of the first half of 2014 the number of unfavorable settlements in case of this infection decreased more than 3 times (36 compared to 117) in comparison with 2006. Annually bovine leucosis was eradicated from 5 to 33 herds. From 1990 bovine leucosis was eradicated from 250 herds in the Kirov region. In 2013 the number of BLV infected animals dropped from 14.0 % to 1.9% in comparison with 1997 and the number of cases of bovine leucosis decreased from 2.2% to 1.3%, the incidence of BLV infection reduced from 2.4% to 1.3%. Seven districts of the region became free from bovine leucosis because of conducting anti-leucosis activities (management, veterinary and sanitary control), separation of seroreactors with putting them into separated isolators in most farms, in other 16 districts no cases of bovine leucosis were recorded and the BLV infection rate was very low. In most other districts of the region the BLV infection rate was no more than 10%. Bovine leucosis can be eradicated from all districts of the region in the next years using developed methods and measures for prevention and control.
Keywords: bovine leucosis, unfavorable settlements, BLV infection level, leucosis eradication measures
1. Dzhupina S.I. Metody epizooticheskogo issledovaniya i teoriya epizooticheskogo protsessa. [Methods for epizootic study and theory of epizotic process]. Novosibirsk: Siberian branch of Nauka Publ., 1991. 141p.
2. Pat. 2048093 RU. Sposob profilaktiki i likvidatsii leykoza krupnogo rogatogo skota. [Method for prophylaxis and curing of bovine leucosis]. Date of publication 20.11.1995.
3. Smirnov Yu.P., Belyaev S.V., Ispra-vnikov S.A. Leykoz krupnogo rogatogo skota v khozyaystvakh Kirovskoy oblasti. [Bovine leucosis in dairy farms of the Kirov region]. Tezisy dokl. konf. «Kontseptsiya nauchnogo obespe-cheniya vet. meditsiny Severo-Vostochnogo regi-ona NZ RF». [Abstracts of the conference «Concept of scientific support of veterinary medicine in the North-East region of the Non-Chernozem Zone of the Russian Federation»]. N. Novgorod, 1999. pp.29-30.
4. Pat. 2210208 RU. Sposob polucheniya remontnogo molodnyaka, svobodnogo ot virusa leykoza krupnogo rogatogo skota (VLKRS). [Method for reproduction of replacement young animals free from BLV]. (RF) Date of publication 20.08.2003.
5. Pravila po profilaktike i bor'be s leyko-zom krupnogo rogatogo skota, utv. Minsel'-khozprodom RF. [Rules for the prophylaxis and eradication of bovine leucosis, approved by the Ministry of agriculture and food of the RF]. 11.05.1999. no.359.
6. Gulyukin M.I., Barabanov I.I., Simonyan G.A. Sistema protivo-epizooticheskikh i profilakti-cheskikh meropriyatiy pri leykoze krupnogo rogatogo skota v Leningradskoy oblasti na 2012 god i posleduyushchie gody. [System of the antiepizootic and prophylactic measures at bovine leucosis in the Leningrad region for 2012 and the next few years]. Saint-Petersburg, 2012. 21p.
7. Gulyukin M.I., Simonyan G.A., Zama-raeva N.V., Krikun V.A., Valikhov A.F., Ivanova L.A., Makarova L.A., Vasin A.V., Listkova N.A., Koromyslov G.F. Metodicheskie ukazaniya po diagnostike leykoza krupnogo rogatogo skota. [Guidelines for the diagnosis of bovine leucosis].Moscow, 2000. 33 p.
8. Gulyukin M.I., Simonyan G.A., Iva-nova L.A. i dr. Metodicheskie rekomendatsii po epizootologicheskomu issledovaniyu pri leykoze krupnogo rogatogo skota. [Guidelines for epizootic study at bovine leucosis]. Moscow, 2001. 26 p.
9. Smirnov Yu.P., Suvorova I.L., Kosor-lukova Z.Ya. Zashchita molodnyaka ot zarazheniya virusom leykoza krupnogo rogatogo skota: rekomendatsii. [Protection of youngsters from BLV infection: guidelines]. N. Novgorod, 2008. 36 p.
10. Smirnov Yu.P., Gordin A.F., Savinyx R.A., Belyaev S.V. Kompleksnyj plan profilaktiki i likvidacii lejkoza krupnogo rogatogo skota v khozyajstvakh Kirovskoj oblasti. [Complex BLV prophylaxis and eradication program in dairy farms of the Kirov region]. Kirov, 1990. 13 p.
11. Smirnov Yu.P., Sisyagin I.N., Kim R.E. Metodicheskie rekomen-datsii po metodam i sredstvam diagnostiki, profilaktiki i bor'by s leykozom krupnogo rogatogo skota. [Guidelines for methods and means for diagnosis and eradication of bovine leucosis]. N. Novgorod, 2005. 39 p.