New potato variety Virazh with resistance to golden potato nematode
Serqeeva Z. F., PhD in agriculture, head of laboratory,
Sintsova N. F., PhD in agriculture, senior researcher,
Merkusheva M. Yu., associate researcher,
Lyskova I.V., PhD in agriculture, head of laboratory
Falenki Plant-Breeding Station, Falenki, Kirov region, Russia
Characteristics of mid-early potato variety Virazh (Gloriya x 282-97) which combines high productivity (up to 39.6 t/ha) with resistance to viruses, common pathotype of cancer, golden potato nematode, common scab is presented in the article. It has a middle degree of resistance to late blight. A variety is of table appointment. A peel of tubers is white colour, pulp is light yellow, not darkening in a crude kind and at cooking, flowers it is red the violet. A bush is sprawling leafy type with large leaves; flowers are red-violet. Tubers of a new potato variety are suitable for processing on potato products: they have the oval form and superficial eyelets. The dry matter content is 20.2…27.9 %, protein - up to 2.4%, the average content of starch 12.4…16.2%. Taste qualities are 3.4…4.3 points; pulp of cooked tuber is light yellow fluffy. By results of competitive testing on experimental fields of Falenki Plant-Breeding Station in Kirovskoy area the variety Virazh exceeded the standard Nevsky on yield by 4.5 t/ha on average, variety Golubka by 2.1 t/ha. Under test digging at 60-th day after planing productivity of the new variety (10.6 t/ha) was higher then of the standard Nevsky and Golubka by 0.8 and 1.1 t/ha. The high yield is provided with the number tubers in the bush. A variety forms from 9 till 13 tubers per bush with average weight of the tuber 78…109 g. In 2015 variety Virazh is passed to the State variety trial.
Keywords: potato, variety, productivity, disease resistance, dry matter content
1. Anisimov B.V., Belov G.L., Varitsev Yu.A. et al. Zashchita kartofelya ot bolezney, vrediteley i sor-nyakov. [Protection of potato against diseases, wreckers and weeds]. Moscow: Kartofelevod, 2009. 272 p.
2. Strategiya razvitiya selektsii i semenovodstva kartofelya v Rossiyskoy Federatsii na period do 2020 g. [Strategy of development of potato breeding and seed-growing in the Russian Federation for the period till 2020]. Moscow: Korenevo, 2010. 35 p.
3. Sklyarova N.P., Yashina I.M., Simakov E.A., Zharova V.A., Kuchumov V.O. Kartofel' Rossii. [The potato of Russia]. Pod red. Korshunova A.V. Moskva, 2003. pp. 131-218.
4. Metodicheskie ukazaniya po tekhnologii selektsii kartofelya. [Methodical guidenes on technology of potato breeding]. Moscow: VNIIKKh, 1994. 22 p.
5. Metodika po kul'ture kartofelya. [Methodical instructions on potato]. Moscow: VNIIKKh, 1967. 264 p.
6. Sintsova N.F., Sergeeva Z.F., Lyskova I.V. Izuchenie prigodnosti sortov i perspektivnykh liniy kartofelya Falenskoy selektsionnoy stantsii dlya proizvodstva chipsov. [Studying of suitability of variety and perspective lines of potato of Falenki Plant-Breeding Station for chips manufacture]. Metody i tekhnologii v selektsii rasteniy i rastenievodstve. [Methods and technologies in plant breeding and plant growing]. Kirov: NIISKh Severo-Vostoka, 2015. pp. 603-607.