Barley variety 'Forvard' of regenerant origin
Shupletsova O.N., PhD in biology, senior researcher,
Shchennikova I.N., PhD in agriculture, head of laboratory
North-East Agricultural Research Institute, Kirov, Russia
The results of breeding work on the creation of high-yielding spring barley varieties that are resistant to increased content of aluminium ions in acidic sod-podzolic soils with use of regenerant lines RA 917-01, RA 780-04, RA 781-04 from original genotype 999-93 were presented. Seed progeny of regenerated plants in generations R3 – R7 were evaluated in laboratory and field experiments. In a roll culture it was showed an excess of root length index by 9.3 – 29% for the genotypes of regenerant origin compared with the standard and the initial variety. In field tests the advantage of all regenerant lines on the level of productivity and yield in drought conditions of 2010. The productive indicators of RA 780-04 and RA 917-01 were higher than in favourable 2009. Based on regenerant line RA 917-01 a new variety of spring barley Forward was created. The variety has high productivity, resistance to complex of abiotic and biotic stressors.Variety Forward is recommended for use in acidic sod-podzolic soils of the Volga-Vyatka region. In competitive varietal tests the yield of varieties was made up 6.17 t/ha that is on average 0.61 t/ha higher than the previous standard. During two years of state tests (since 2014) on the stations of the Arkhangelsk region and the Komi Republic Forward exceeded standard variety Dina by 0.16 t/ha at yield of 2.74 t/ha. Cultivation of the variety 'Forvard' allows to reduce cost price by 7.2-11% and to obtain net income 21.4 up to 33.7 thousand rubles/ha (in prices of 2015) in dependence of growing conditions.
Keywords: spring barley, soil acidity, aluminum, regenerant lines, drought resistance, variety, productivity, yield capacity
1. Shevelukha V.S. Problemy, prioritety i masshtaby sel'skokhozyaystvennoy biotekhnologii v 21 veke. [Problems, priorities and the extent of the agricultural biotechnology in the 21st century]. Sel'skokhozyaystvennaya biotekhnologiya. 2000. V. 1. pp. 3-14.
2. Kuznуtsov V.V., Shevyakova N.I. Stress respon-sess of tobacco cells to high temperature and salinity. Proline accumulation and phosphorylation of polypeptides. Phy-siologia Plantarum. 2001. V. 100. no. 2. pp. 320-326.
3. Muyuan Y.Z., Jianwei P., Lilin W. Mutation induced enhancement of Al tolerance in barley cell lines // Plant Sci. 2003. V. 164. pp. 17-23.
4. Sidorov V.A. Biotekhnologiya rasteniy; kletochnaya selektsiya. [Plant Biotechnology; cell selection]. Kiev: Naukova dumka, 1990. 280 p.
5.Taylor G.J. Overcoming barriers to understanding the cellular basis of aluminium resistance. Plant and Soil. 1995. V. 171. no. 1. pp. 89-103.
6. Shupletsova O.N., Shchennikova I.N., Shirokikh I.G. Sozdanie genotipov yachmenya s kompleksnoy ustoychivost'yu k edaficheskim stressam metodami kletochnoyselektsii. [Creation of Barley Genotypes with Complex Resistance to Edaphic Stresses by Methods of Cell Culture]. Rossiyskaya sel'skokhozyaystvennaya nauka. 2015. no. 1-2. pp. 16-20.
7. Shupletsova O.N., Shchennikova I.N. Metod kletochnogo otbora v sozdanii i otsenke iskhodnogo materiala dlya selektsii yachmenya, ustoychivogo k toksichnosti alyuminiya. [Method of cell selection in creation and estimation of initial material for breeding of barley resistant to aluminum toxicity]. Kirov: FGBOU VPO Vyatskaya GSKhA, 2012. 40 p.
8. Lisitsyn E.M. Metodika laboratornoy otsenki alyumoustoychivosti zernovykh kul'tur. [Methods of laboratory estimation of aluminum resistance in cereals]. Doklady RASKhN. 2003. no. 3. pp. 5-7.
9. Metodika Goskomissii po ispytaniyu sel'skokhozyaystvennykh kul'tur. [Methodics of State Commission for varietal test in agricultural crops]. Moscow: Kalininskaya oblastnaya tipografiya, 1985. 389 p.
10. Golovochenko A.P. Osobennosti adaptivnoy selektsii yarovoy myagkoy pshenitsy v lesostepnoy zone Srednego Povolzh'ya. [Features of adaptive breeding of spring soft wheat in forest-steppe zone of Middle Povolzh'e]. Kinel', 2001. 380 p.
11. Rodina N.A., Efremova Z.G. Metodicheskie rekomendatsii po selektsii yachmenya na ustoychivost' k boleznyam i ikh primenenie v NIISKh Severo-Vostoka. [Methodical recommendation on barley breeding for resistance to diseases and its using in North-East Agricultural Research Institute]. Moscow, 1986. 79 p.
12. Dospekhov B.A. Metodika polevogo opyta (s osnovami statisticheskoy obrabotki rezul'tatov issledovaniy). [Methods of field experiment (with basis of statistical processing of results)]. Moscow: Agropromizdat, 1985. 351 p.